Strelitzia Nicolai (White Bird of Paradise/Wild Banana)
This is the white flowering cousin to the Strelizia reginea - known as 'Bird of Paradise' due to their flowers that resemble these types of birds in the wild. Their big, glossy leaves also a resemble a banana tree hence it's other nickname 'Wild Banana', despite them not actually producing fruit. Strelizia are not as likely to flower indoors and can take a while to reach maturity and flower (sometimes 5-6 years!) They're absolutely worth nurturing that long!
- Water: Keep the soil slightly damp (not wet) during Summer and water regularly to keep it topped up. During the colder months, allow to dry out a little between waterings.
- Light: Lover of bright sunlight. Will not cope for long in the shade.
- Temperature/Humidity: Lover of warmth and humidity due to its jungle roots. Mist regularly to keep humidity levels high.
- Pets: Toxic if eaten. Keep out of reach of furry friends & children.
- Feeding: Feed every 3-4 weeks during Spring & Summer using a diluted liquid plant food.
Pot size: 17cm
Please note: All plants are provided in a plastic nursery pot. Any outer decorative pots photographed are for illustration purposes. This plant is not for consumption.